VUCA is not:
- a new vodka-based martini;
- an exotic herb used in curry dishes;
- a brand of high-end commercial appliances.
So, what exactly is VUCA?
This term is an acronym for a business environment that is dominated by:
- Volatility – where things change rapidly but not predictably;
- Uncertainty – where the past is not an accurate predictor of the future (and therefore preparing for “what’s around the corner” is extremely difficult;
- Complexity – where countless causes and mitigating factors complicate problems;
- Ambiguity – where the causes (i.e., who, what, where, when, how and why) behind events are often unclear.
In a recent ERE.net article, Dr. John Sullivan explores the concept of V.U.C.A., as well as the effect it’s had on today’s recruiting and workforce management.
According to Sullivan, hospitality talent managers, HR and recruiting professionals must develop new ways to survive in a V.U.C.A. environment. Traditional models of talent acquisition and management simply cannot work, because they are not versatile enough to accommodate the rapid and unpredictable changes in business.
To truly thrive under such conditions, you need to develop “agile models” that prepare your hospitality workforce for major disruptive events. These business models must also include the processes and systems that can actually shift and handle any unpredicted upcoming event at a moment’s notice.
Hospitality staffing and recruiting services, like those offered by Penguin Staff, can help you meet the challenges of today’s unpredictable hospitality environment. We help hotels, industrial caterers, CVBs and other hospitality employers like you successfully manage volatility with:
- Contingent labor. By using on-call and temporary hospitality employees as a significant part of your workforce, you increase your capability to meet sudden upturns, downturns and unique skill needs. The flexibility contingent labor provides helps you operate cost-efficiently, while still maintaining the ability to capitalize on new opportunities.
- Rapid talent acquisition. We can work with you to develop detailed position specifications, before hiring needs arise. When the time comes, our knowledge of your requirements and deep talent pool will provide quicker access to top hospitality candidates who are ready to perform for your organization.
- Outsourcing. Even under the best of circumstances, workforce management is a time-consuming and stressful tasks for hospitality employers. Penguin Staff can integrate seamlessly with your organization to handle all aspects of staffing – freeing you to focus on your most important priorities.
The one constant in today’s world of hospitality? Rapid change. Thankfully, Penguin is prepared to help you manage the “new normal” of today’s V.U.C.A. environment.